eLightBulbs.com - The world's largest light bulb store!
High Volume Pricing Discounts with eLightBulbs Business Services
  |   View Your Shopping Cart
Click to Browse all of our Categories
Search
Help
800-948-1063

eLightBulbs Blog > Clarifying The Light Bulb Legislation Banning Inefficient Light Bulbs

Clarifying The Light Bulb Legislation Banning Inefficient Light Bulbs

Posted by Blair Eisenbraun on May 13, 2011

The Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 which was signed into law by then-President George W. Bush doesn't actually ban all incandescent light bulbs as has been commonly reported.

Clarifying The Light Bulb Legislation Banning Inefficient Light Bulbs

The Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 (EPACT) has been misunderstood and misreported.  I’m guilty of misrepresenting it myself, calling it the “incandescent light bulb ban” among other things.  Such a name is not completely accurate.  While it is true that incandescent light bulbs are most heavily affected by the EPACT, the legislation actually just requires that light bulbs must become about 25% more efficient.

The law also only applies to general service light bulbs, i.e. the ones we use for regular use in our homes and elsewhere.  It is true that certain incandescent light bulbs will be banned; however it is a select few.  The light bulbs to be banned are the 100 watt, 75 watt, 60 watt, and 40 watt incandescents, which are the best example of inefficiency in lighting.  Again, it is not a blanket ban on all incandescent light bulbs.

The law targeted lighting as an area where significant positive change could be realized due to lighting accounting for about 14% of electricity used in buildings in the US.  Standard incandescent light bulbs are extremely inefficient, converting only about 10% of the energy they use into light.  The other 90% of energy creates nothing but heat.  The new law requires that the most common regular service light bulbs (the 100, 75, 60, and 40 watt) become about 25% more efficient.

It’s important to know the facts about the EPACT legislation, lest fear-mongering and other overreactions occur.  The government is NOT banning all incandescent light bulbs.  They are NOT mandating what types of light bulbs you must use, and consumers will NOT be required to change out all their lamps and fixtures.  The EPACT simply requires that manufacturers improve the efficiency of their most common incandescent light bulbs.  That doesn’t seem so bad to me.

Share This:
About the Author
Blair Eisenbraun
Blair is an incredibly versatile copywriter. He enjoys researching and mastering his subject matter and provides interesting and engaging commentary through his gift of writing. In his downtime, he is an avid gamer and enjoys finding the humor in life.
SEARCH
SIMILAR POSTS
RECENT POSTS
eLightBulbs offers Visa Credit Card as a Payment Option eLightBulbs offers Mastercard Credit Card as a Payment Option eLightBulbs offers American Express Credit Card as a Payment Option eLightBulbs offers Discover Credit Card as a Payment Option eLightBulbs offers PayPal as a Payment Option eLightBulbs offers Amazon Payments as a Payment Option
eLightBulbs
 stress free shopping
The largest lighting selection in the world combined with the best service available. Read More...
eLightBulbs Blog
Company Info
About Us
Company History
Our Values
Media Files
Customer Resources
Contact Us
My Account
Search Help
Business Services
Shipping Rates
Return Policies
Lighting Library
FAQs
Lighting Tools
Energy Savings Calculator
Color Temperature Selector
How to Measure a Light Bulb
What's New?
Newest Products
Newest Product Reviews
Our Brands
Sylvania
Philips
GE
Westinghouse
TCP
Halco
Vickerman
Litetronics
EIKO
Ushio
Bulbrite
Maxlite
Satco
Fulham
Universal
Osram
Neptun
Eveready
Duracell
Terms & Conditions   © 1996-2015 eLightBulbs | All Rights Reserved.
eLightBulbs has a 5-Star rating with Shopper Approved! eLightBulbs has a 5-Star rating with PriceGrabber! eLightBulbs has a 5-Star rating with Amazon.com!